Transition Information

Life after high school can be uncertain territory for any parent. Navigating between a community college, four year universities, living at home, living independently, on-the-job training, supported employment, or entering the military can be difficult. For student with learning difficulties, this transition adds another level of obstacles and questions. Marshall CUSD #C-2 provides transition services to all students who receive special education and related services at the age of 14 ½ and above. These services aim to guide students to the resources and linkages to necessary for a successful career after high school. While a student’s special education eligibility through Marshall CUSD #C-2 ends when a student earns a regular high school diploma or turns 22 years old, services can continue through various state and local agencies. Agencies in our area include some of the following:

Lakeland College—Office of Student Accommodations: Provides accommodations to children with a documented disability such as extended time for tests, note-taking assistance, or tests in an alternate setting/format. Students must provide documentation including their most recent IEP and psychological evaluation in order to apply for services.

Ivy Tech Community College—Disability Services: Provides accommodations to children with a documented disability. Students must provide documentation including their most recent IEP and psychological evaluation in order to apply for services.

Indiana State University-Disability Student Services: The Student Support Services Program at Indiana State University coordinates support services for I.S.U. students with disabilities.

  • Contact Info: Rita Worrall; (812) 237-2301
  • Rita.Worrall@indstate.edu

Lincoln Trail College-Student Services:

  • Contact Info: Rena Gower; (618)546-2306
  • gowerr@iecc.edu

Human Resource Center-Paris: The Human Resources Center of Edgar and Clark Counties (HRC) assists individuals and families in seeking and finding passage to healthier and more rewarding lives. Compassionate employees at HRC provide evidence-based prevention, crisis, treatment, rehabilitation, recovery, employment, and wellness services from multiple sites in Edgar and Clark Counties.

Department of Rehab Services (DORS): Assists people with finding competitive jobs. Referral documentation is needed which includes your child’s recent IEP and psychological evaluation. Ask your child’s special education teacher for more information.

Prairieland Services: Part of the Department of Human Services and provides services for students with profound developmental disabilities. They provide 24 hour residential or in-home care to students with significant cognitive impairments or an autism spectrum disorder. In addition, Prairieland Services provides training programs to teach life and work skills. A PUNS (Prioritization of Urgency of Need for Services) list helps DHS ensure that services are available for those in need. To find out more, contact DHS or your child’s special education teacher.

CCAR Industries: CCAR provides early intervention/birth through two services, developmental training to assist adults who live and work in their community, vocational services to provide social and functional skills training and employment for adults with disabilities, and 24 hour residential services for adults with developmental disabilities to live as independently in the community as possible.